The Baltimore Orioles are on the clock.
The perennial American League East cellar dwellers own the No. 1 pick overall in the 2022 MLB Draft.
The next batch of future stars will hear their names called beginning on Sunday, July 17 in Los Angeles, Calif. (site of this year’s MLB All-Star Game).
The New York Yankees have the No. 25 pick overall. But the New York Mets have two selections: No. 11 and No. 14 overall. That’s because the Mets failed to sign Vanderbilt’s Kumar Rocker, last year’s first-round selection.
Want to bet on MLB?
See the best NJ Sports Betting sites
MLB.com’s Jim Callis is out with his latest first-round mock. Here’s what he sees the Big Apple’s ballclubs doing.
11. Mets: Daniel Susac, C, Arizona (compensation pick for failure to sign 2021 first-rounder Kumar Rocker)
If the Royals aren’t the first team to take a pitcher, then it could be the Mets with Brock Porter or high school left-handers Brandon Barriera and Robby Snelling.
14. Mets: Zach Neto, SS, Campbell
Neto would become Campbell’s first-ever first-round pick and probably won’t get past the Guardians and Mariners if the Mets look elsewhere.
25. Yankees: Blade Tidwell, RHP, Tennessee
Where Tidwell will go is hard to calculate because he missed the first six weeks with a shoulder injury, was kept on a tight leash and followed his best start of the year against Alabama State in the NCAA regionals by getting bombed by Notre Dame in the super -regionals.
– Inside the box score of the Yankees’ walk-off win vs. Astros: Aaron Judge, Giancarlo Stanton, Aaron Hicks, more
– Aging ex-Yankees reliever (finally) gets 1st MLB at-bat and comedy ensues
– Yankees legend Derek Jeter’s message to the Red Sox namesake ahead of MLB debut came with tongue-in-cheek warning
– Ex-Yankees prospect is raking in the Red Sox
Thank you for relying on us to provide the journalism you can trust. Please consider supporting us with a subscription.
Mike Rosenstein may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.